Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Pregalete

This morning, after my swim (2700 - not too shabby), I was encouraged by a comment from one of my fellow swimmers. She's really a much better swimmer than me and yet, when we were talking about running and other athletic endeavors she made the comment that "Hanging out with you guys, the athletes, makes me feel like such a slacker." Wha? She's grouping me with the athletes? Lemme say there are some serious athletes in that bunch - chics that don't just win their age group but the whole frickin' race. Chics with 0% body fat and muscles that rival any beefcake. I've never really put myself in that league (mostly because - well - I'm not). But it was cool to hear that someone considers me an athlete. Especially in my current state. It gives me hope that my body and fitness will return someday. But, right now, it is different. I'm still working it, but things have changed. I'm not the "athlete" that I became such a short time ago. I'm a pregnant athlete - a pregalete. And that's a pretty cool thing to be. Even if chics on the trail give me funny looks because I'm going so slow. Maybe I should do what No Wetsuit Girl's friend did and say "Oh yeah, well I'm pregnant." to every person who looks at me funny. Or maybe I should just wait a couple more weeks (hours) and my belly will make the announcement for me. Right now, it could be mistaken for a beer gut, but that won't be so for long. I'll just keep truckin' in Pregalete style and see where I end up. Next stop: Mommylete.

4 comments:

Marathoner in Training said...

That is impressive, you will always be an athlete, and soon to be a Mommyelte. Keep us posted on how the pregalete is going.

21stCenturyMom said...

You are already a Mommylete. And a very good one, at that!

No Wetsuit Girl said...

I think "athlete" is a mindset, not metals and podiums. Anyone who is dedicated to the constant maintenance and improvement of their body through physical activity is an athlete regardless of talent, skill, experience, or what happens to be growing in their belly.

You could make a t-shirt that says, "I'm pregnant, not a freak!", or something to that effect and save your vocal chords, but probably people will pass you so fast they won't have time to read it.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

When i was out-to-there people would stop me and say "when are you due?"

Once I answered "oh I'm not pregnant, I'm just fat."