Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Sometimes you've gotta go . . .

where you can kick a little booty.

Yesterday morning, as often occurs, my alarm rang far to early. I rolled over and declared myself unfit for rising - as, also, often occurs of late. Consequently, I missed my swim - again, something that has often occurred. This time, however, I decided to do something about it so, after dinner, Hubby and I headed for my old chlorine haunt, the rec center pool.

Almost exactly a year ago, we headed to this same pool to see what I could do in the water. Though I could swim fine, I'd never done it for exercise and certainly never tried to swim freestyle - or any style for that matter. The only stroke I knew how to do was breast stroke. That day, I got in the pool, knocked out 25 yards and clung to the wall, gasping for air. So much for my runner's lungs. As you now know, however, I kept at it, kept plugging until I could swim 50 then 100 then 500 then 1000 until I could comfortably swim a mile or more without stopping.

What a difference a year makes. Back then, I felt so out of place, watching in awe as swimmers in other lanes went lap after lap with no stopping. Old people, young people, men, women and kids - they could all kick my butt. Last night, things were different.

I walked in, fancy schmancy swim bag in tow and found an empty lane. The swimmers on either side stopped and looked at my bulging confident form with wide eyes. Even the life guards gave me a second glance. I was pregnant and I knew what I was doing. I was toting toys, for goodness sake - fins, pull buoy, goggles and Big Shark cap. They were in the presence of a pregalete.

So, I got into the lukewarm water and stretched myself out for a swim. I lapped the lady next to me until she finally got out. Then, I lapped the dude that replaced her. It was a good feeling - especially in my current, slowed down state. When I swim with the Masters Group, I am routinely served a big rich piece of humble pie. And that's a good thing usually, only occasionally causes nausea, doesn't seem to be affecting my slow weight gain - but sometimes, sometimes, a person, especially a pregnant person, needs a little boost of ego, a little encouragement, a little affirmation that, hey, you ain't doin' so bad, sistah.

I'm a slow swimmer and a slow runner, always have been. I'm even slower now. But its nice every once in awhile to see how I compare with the "average" person (or at least the average person actually making an effort to exercise which, really, isn't very average at all) rather than with the super crazy, kick ass athletes. Humble pie is good for you in moderation, but you can't really live off it.

9 comments:

Vickie said...

You ARE NOT SLOW! You might be somewhat "challenged" right now but never SLOW! DO NOT FORGET THAT! YOU WILL BE BACK. I have a feeling you will sneak up on us and declare your diva triathlete status at any given time. Watch out!

jeanne said...

if you're slow, i'm going backwards. nice work in the pool! it's always fun to see how far we've come.

Lori said...

You are awesome! You are out there doing it and I bet those people were just in awe of you and your little belly swimming like a fish! Have a wonderful holiday!

No Wetsuit Girl said...

I pull the same thing, always comparing myself to those behind me to make myself feel better. I like to think of them as lesser beings. I do that, and I don't even have a killer excuse for my slowness like you do, you must really BE fast. Either way, there's nothing better than a rec swimmer in the next lane to boost your ego!

And be careful calling yourself slow. I've seen your splits and if that's slow, my feelings are hurt.

Happy Thanksgiving, by the way.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

you go, sistah!

plus, YOU ARE GROWING A BABY. that takes some energy. don't forget it.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I just came by your blog through the BlogHerAds listing. Swimming of any distance is quite a challenge. That's fantastic that you've stayed with it and pulled through. Speed, who cares! You're out there. Awesome. Happy Thanksgiving.

Jane said...

Pregalete - I like that.

Michelle said...

"you ain't doin' so bad, sistah." I agree whoelheartedly. Keep givin' em heck. Happy holidays.

Heather said...

I love 'pregalete.' Also, in swimming for two, don't you naturally encounter a little extra resistance? :) Take pride and enjoy the look backwards and forwards.